Spinning in circles

I've continued my hamster-esque tendencies and went to my first ever group turbo session last night. For anyone reading this who's not an obsessive cyclist, triathlete or masochist, a turbo trainer is a thing you put your bike on to cycle indoors when you're too wimpy to go outside. People like to do it in groups as it kills the boredom and makes you look less of a weirdo.
(Obviously putting my bike and turbo in a car to drive to somewhere that I then unload my bike and turbo to put in a room with sweaty people and cycle indoors is not weird).

I'm not sure what I was expecting (80s sweat bands? pain? misery?) but I ended up being pleasantly surprised at how quickly the time flew by as we were up and down out the saddle, changing the cadence and doing pedalling drills. I was feeling really fit til this morning when I tried to get out of bed and realised my hamstrings had stopped working.

I wasn't sure if having a turbo with all the add-ons like a cadence sensor, heart rate and power reading was a bit excessive but I do find the numbers helpful in giving me something to concentrate on. Though I have to admit it feels a bit silly to be putting in all this power yet still having to plug the turbo into the wall! Wires everywhere!!

So far I've had two last minute invites to join a team for the Strathpuffer this weekend but I'm resolutely resisting temptation, not least due to the nasty cough I'm developing and which is causing colleagues to send me nasty glances. Bring on the honey - I think I've successfully depleted half the UK's stockpile of it already today and will need to start doing something to save the bees. Would a hanging basket help? It would certainly please the wee woman across the road as she's already asked me if I've considered getting one!

Comments

kate said…
hahaha! i've never heard of group turbo sessions. the fact you have to drive with your bike and trainer has just made my day!

....but good work though...
trio said…
Turbo training, sorry that is odd!
Anonymous said…
Yep, I laughed a lot when first introduced to the concept by a friend in Cambridge. But before I started running I told everyone it sounded dull... And used to say the same about swimming too...

Popular Posts